TORONTO — A 59-year-old man was charged late Saturday with second-degree murder in the shooting of a 40-year-old man outside a downtown restaurant that was the scene of a fatal police shooting last month, according to Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash.
Nicholas Gauthier of Toronto is scheduled to appear in court Monday morning.
A 20-year-old man was shot and killed by police on Aug. 4 in Toronto’s financial district, where crowds of people gathered outside Parliament Hill to protest what they saw as police brutality.
Toronto police officers on Saturday afternoon were involved in another shooting at another location in the city’s downtown, Pugash said. Police later said they were still investigating, and they did not release any details about the shooting.
Authorities have said the shooting happened after two officers received reports of a knife-wielding man. Police said there was a confrontation with the man, who was eventually shot.
There have been several criminal investigations into the shooting.
Police have said that the officers involved in the shooting have been removed from the front line of operations pending the results of the investigations.