Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Steve Cohen, the CEO of the Trump Organization, previously ran a hedge fund
One of President Donald Trump’s personal attorneys says federal prosecutors don’t intend to charge the President’s chief operating officer.
A federal grand jury recently served a subpoena on Steve Cohen, the head of the Trump Organization, seeking documents related to the Trump University real estate investment programme.
Mr Cohen also had been caught up in the investigation of former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen.
He resigned from the Trump Organization in August as the two investigations became increasingly pointed at him.
The presidency has been dogged by questions about possible collusion with Russia to influence the 2016 election.
Mr Trump has denied the allegations.
‘Got off scot-free’
President Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen, could face jail time over bank fraud, tax evasion and campaign finance violations.
The investigation was conducted by the New York attorney general’s office, but Mr Cohen was cleared of election fraud charges in a separate probe conducted by US federal prosecutors.
He was barred from the presidential election in May.
President Trump’s lawyers earlier this year denied any wrongdoing by Mr Cohen and promised to work with prosecutors to aid his own criminal case.
However, in August, prosecutors at the Manhattan US attorney’s office issued subpoenas to Mr Cohen seeking information related to the Trump University scam, which the firm operated before the election.
Mr Cohen’s lawyer, Lanny Davis, said on Tuesday that prosecutors had not questioned Mr Cohen about the matter during a September meeting.
“I am told by high-level US attorney sources that they have now concluded there is no reason to proceed forward with filing charges,” Mr Davis told the Associated Press news agency.
During the campaign Mr Trump repeatedly referred to the Federal Election Commission and New York state’s Attorney General as fraudsters, leading to investigations into both entities.